Karidaki Christmas cake Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
5 eggs pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup castor sugar
500g Walnut spoon sweet
1 cup sultanas
6 tbls walnut syrup from jar of spoon sweets mixed with 6 tbls "raki"
250g butter Rind
1 lemon (Oven temp 150 - 160 degrees for 1.5 hours or 130-140 fan forced oven)
1. Heat oven to 150-160 degrees.
2. Grease with butter a medium 25cm cake tin and line with greaseproof paper and grease heavily (square one is desirable)
3. First cut the walnuts in syrup into roughly six small pieces and then break up the walnuts into halves or quarters. Add sultanas to the bowl and then add half cup of extra flour in bowl and mix the fruit. This way they will separate and not stick together. Keep aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar in mix master with a pinch of salt, add rind and on slow alternate and add sifted flour, spice, eggs, fruit and raki with syrup. The mix will be very slow, hard and sticky. Add the mix to cake tin and bake until ready.
5. When the cake cools down slightly, get half cup of syrup and alcohol and brush the cake all over whilst in the tin, then take it out of tin once cooled. Wrap in aluminium foil and keep in cool place.
Note: The cake lasts one month like this and tastes great. Bone Appetit - Enjoy your cake!