Fears for the health of Pope Francis have surfaced, after he cancelled two days of engagements.
Following an intense working weekend, the 77-year-old decided not to hold Mass in Santa Marta this morning and cancelled his appointments for the rest of the day.
He had already had advisors clear his schedule yesterday to rest, after hosting a diplomatically tricky prayer meeting with the Israeli and Palestinian presidents on Sunday.
A few weeks ago he called off a visit to a Marian shrine near Rome ‘lighten his schedule’ before his three day trip to the Holy land.
He has previously cancelled engagements because of a cold, or a light fever.
The Vatican said:'Following a very historic and full weekend, the Holy Father has chosen to rest on Monday afternoon and today Tuesday.' His condition is 'not serious' the Holy See said.