- The man was executed after he was accused of helping government forces
- Sign reads: 'Cleanliness is civilised matter that shows your ethics and love for your country'
- Islamic State of Iraq and Syria is so extreme al Qaeda won't deal with them
- Comes after ISIS release images of two men similarly executed in al-Raqqa
- White House providing 'lethal and non-lethal' support to Syrian opposition
Behind the killing is the hardline Islamic group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), a faction so extreme that it has been disavowed by Al Qaeda.
The group posted the shocking photograph online as a warning as to what happens to defectors in areas in Syria under ISIS control.
In the disturbing image, a child can even be seen perching on an adult's shoulders, taking a photograph of the victim with a mobile phone.
It is unclear where exactly the photograph was taken.